At first the temple was a simple ermita (country chapel) that was probably built in the late 16th century, given the distance from the La Concepción Church in La Laguna. The present building derives from the original one but has undergone many transformations.
It is a three-nave church separated by stone segmental arches that rest on square Tuscan pillars. An outstanding feature is the robust semi-circular transverse arch (made between 1747 and 1759) separating the main nave from the chancel, which is raised on steps like the choir. A collar beam coffered ceiling runs through the three naves. It has no decoration except for the double struts that feature a light strapwork reinforcing the walls. The three chapels in the apse have octagonal coffered ceilings decorated with strapwork. The choir was built in 1786-1787 and rebuilt in 1906; the baptismal chapel dates from 1831 and the stone floor from 1889.
The main façade is slightly asymmetrical and the stone bell gable, featuring a double semi-circular arch to house the bells, separates the main nave from the Gospel. The main stone doorway is raised on a curved flight of steps with noteworthy oculus on the sides, while on the opposite end stands the tower that consists of three sections crowned by a sharp spire.
The exterior masonry walls feature avant-corps stone ashlars indicating the situation of the chapels and corners of the temple. Several semi-circular arched windows are rhythmically laid out on these walls. On the Epistle side, a second doorway features a semi-circular arch crowned by a triangular pediment. The naves have independent gable roofs made of barrel tiles, while the lateral chapels have three slopes and the main one has four higher slopes.
On 27 June 2006 San Bartolomé de Tejina Church and all the properties attached to it were designated Cultural Heritage Asset, under the Monument category.