As buildings and squares emerged, in line with this principle of grid plan, the first unfortified colonial town was shaped, a territory-town. Why erect walls when the surrounding mountains protect the town? The privileged situation of La Laguna, in a valley at five hundred metres above sea level, led to the emergence of a new concept of town; a model that from then on was to be applied in many colonial areas in the New World. In 1588 the Italian engineer Leonardo Torriani produced the first street map of the town, at least the oldest one to have survived.
What we know today as the historical centre, had been described at this time already: the small group of disorderly houses west of La Concepción; the later geometric layout towards the East that stretches from this church towards Villa de Abajo through three main streets: Herradores, Obispo Rey Redondo and San Agustín; the magic triangle these three streets make up, with the main side at Nava y Grimón and Plaza del Adelantado… La Laguna we see today is the same one the Adelantado imagined when he looked on the valley from the nearby hills.
The development of the city revolved around the figure of its governor. From his new location in the so-called Villa de Abajo a new street layout was started that was based on the prevailing planning of the time, that is, the grid plan.