Skip to main content

Thanks to its architectural harmony, this temple and the surrounding buildings bear witness to the historical atmosphere of the square. The Adelantado had it built in 1506 as a family pantheon and it was also the site of the first meetings of the Island Cabildo, as stated in the plaque on the façade. Both uses were eventually abandoned and the lack of interest for its maintenance was constant until recently.

From a constructive point of view, the most valuable feature is on the main façade, which was rebuilt and extended in the 18th century. The centre is taken up by a large doorway framed by a semi-circular arch that rests on carved stone pilasters. The keystone features the relief of a cross on a small plaque with the date of reconstruction (1759). It has a gable roof and the façade is crowned on the corners by symmetrical bell gables with openings for the bells.

The only nave inside the temple is completely bare and has no transverse arch to separate the main chapel from the rest of the church. A collar beam coffered ceiling runs through the whole building. Two flights of steps raise over the floor.

The first one, met as soon as one walks through the main doorway, consists of three steps that separate a small landing; this is not a very usual case and it is a reminder of the extension the temple underwent in the 18th century, when the façade was forwarded towards the Plaza del Adelantado. The second flight of steps leads to the main chapel.

At the apse a modern stone niche refers to the place where the former altarpiece with the image of the saint used to stand.

It is currently used as an art exhibition centre by San Cristóbal de La Laguna Town Council.

On 17 December 1999 it was designated Cultural Heritage Asset, under the Monument category