It was the first temple founded in Tenerife and therefore, also in La Laguna. The other churches on the island were built following its example. Oral and written tradition say that the first mass took place here during the Corpus Christi celebrations, with the clergymen who came with the Adelantado Fernández de Lugo.
The oldest parish church was first built in a different site, possibly between the streets of Adelantado and Marqués de Celada. In 1511 it was decided to erect a new temple with three naves, closer to the initial Villa de Arriba. In the first 30 years of the 16th century progress is very slow and is focused on the church’s apse. The works ended in 1558, although there will be extensions in the coming centuries.
The construction of the tower was also eventful. After building two in 1577 and 1630, the final stonework dates from 1694 to 1697.
But the bad construction quality, the passing of time and a careless maintenance of the building led to its full reconstruction in 1738 and even later, in 1778, directed by Diego Nicolás Eduardo. His work focuses on the main chapel and the apse.
After many construction ups and downs, we currently have a large temple featuring three naves separated by semi-circular arches set on cylindrical columns made of red toba stone and capitals with different ornaments: Gothic columnellas, vegetation or mascarons. The main chapel was modified in the late 18th century replacing the old one with a new area covered by a rib vault.
The temple’s main doorway, on the Gospel side, has a semi-circular arch flanked by smooth shaft columns.
The Epistle doorway features a similar characteristic Baroque design. The temple’s apse was also altered in the late 18th century by Diego Nicolás Eduardo, who introduced neoclassical forms.
The tower is the representative element of the church. Made of stonework and square-based it is crowned by a niche with no spire. At the base, we find the baptistery covered by a Gothic-like rib vault.
The collapse of the roof in 1972 led to a not very appropriate restoration which included eliminating the previous flooring and modifying some alcoves. Since 2000 different restoring works have allowed its conservation and improvement.
On 25 June 1948 it was designated Historic-Artistic Monument. On 30 October 2012 its designation as Cultural Heritage Asset included a more extensive protection of the building and incorporated all the objects related to La Concepción Church.