There are historical records of this primitive temple dating back to the early 16th century. Its religious and cultural importance is related to the area where it stands, which was essentially agricultural. Between 1505-1510 the residents of San Lázaro built a rustic country church dedicated to the saint in the so-called old road to the Villa [Town].
But in 1535 it was moved to its current location. The founder of the new church was Don Pedro de Vergara, who features in documents as repopulator, mayor and alderman in the time of the first Adelantado. His devotion for San Lázaro is explained by the confession he made in his Will of suffering from “of the decease usually called de bubas” (syphilis).
In the mid-17th century it was necessary to build a new church due to the por condition of the previous one. The new building was financed by a descendant of Vergara but it had to be rebuilt in 1861 again because of its poor condition.
At present we can safely say the building belongs to traditional Canarian architecture. It has one single nave of 15 x 15 m, with the main chapel separated from the main nave by a low transverse arch supported by wooden fluted pilasters. The nave has a simple wooden coffered ceiling covered by whitewashed reed.
The exterior features a barrel-tiled gable roof and the façade has a semi-circular doorway made of stone with benches on both sides. On the corner there is a simple stone belfry which includes two semi-circular arches perpendicularly arranged. A square chapel was added to the original structure in the 1880s, which is covered by a hip roof. Also, a rectangular module was erected in order to communicate the church with a former school for girls. So, this extra space has allowed for the church to be extended. Nonetheless, these recent additions distort the original shape of the church.
San Lázaro Church, the properties attached to it and its surroundings were designated Cultural Heritage Asset, in the monument category on 25 October 2005.